Wednesday, March 3, 2010
The Kindle Customer Experience: Why Kindle, not other e-book reader?
As the e-book market has been expected to grow fast, many high-tech firms considered entering this market. Actually, some firms such as Sony did, but customers did not change their way of reading books easily. It was only for the little group of early adaptors, not mass consumers.
According to Time magazine website (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1929387,00.html?iid=tsmodule), E-readers have been around for more than a decade, but the devices weren't popular due to high cost, proprietary display formats and the reluctance of book publishers to sell digital versions of their best-selling titles. However, Amazon has achieved great success in this market by selling more than 1.7 million units of the handheld device in the U.S.
Why Kindle attract so many people? What do customers see and experience through Kindle? Why Kindle?
I was not interested in e-book reader at all even though I am quite greedy about high-tech products. I liked the way of reading real paper books and of studying text book with my pencil. I saw Kindle for the first time, when I visited Amazon website several month ago. Amazon was advertising its best-seller Kindle, using its middle upper space, which is the most important area in the main webpage. The beautiful and simple design of Kindle attracted my eye and it reminded me of my favorite brand Apple. It had Apple style’s touchable design! The price $260 seems to be reasonable, too. So, I started to look for the information about Kindle in Youtube and blogs, and became more attracted to Kindle. I might buy it in the near future.
Kindle’s marketing well focused on maximizing its strength on economical aspects of no monthly wireless bills, wide international coverage, and easiness to access the contents. According to their advertising motto, we can “Get Books in as Little as 60 Seconds”. How amazing it is that I can get book this easily and that I don’t need to carry all of my heavy novels. Moreover, Amazon can provide 240,000 unit of contents because it is the largest online book retailer.
I also surprised to read the article that Kindle’s main purchaser group is people who are in their 40’s. The old generations chose Kindle over traditional paper book? It is interesting because I thought that young generations who are in their 20’s would choose Kindle to experience new products even though they don’t like reading books. I became really curious about what people’s motivation to purchase Kindle is and who really are interested in this innovative product. Finally, I will also work in my report assignment about how Kindle is differentiated with other e-book readers and how Kindle business can be sustainable in terms of customer’s insight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Sijung - The idea of this topic is ok, but I would have liked to see you develop it a bit more. I am a little concerned that it is too narrow, but perhaps you have some ideas about how to cover this topic thoroughly. I'm also not sure what kind of academic article might be useful to you. Let me know if you want to discuss the topic further as you build your extended outline.
ReplyDelete